Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh TV commercials, how I hate you so, let me count the ways... (pt 1)

Being that this is my first 'blog' ever, I figured I would write about something that most people can relate to (I apologize to any marketing majors in advance).  There are few things in life that bother me more than advertisements, especially television commercials... aka 'companies trying to sell you things you don't need & things that will also probably kill you over time'.  I know that may sound a bit dramatic, but if you take a step back & really think about what is being advertised on the TV screen in the middle of one of your favorite shows or sporting events, you may find yourself either crying or laughing (depending on your disposition).  For instance, right now I am have the Steelers / Jets AFC Championship game on in the background & the commercials that flash between breaks amaze me.  What I see are commercials for Pepsi, McDonald's, & Subway, all of which feature an NFL player.  Now I may be wrong, but I don't think professional football players make these types of foods a regular, or even peripheral, part of their diet.  (oh now the 'Subway Post-Game Show is on, great...)  Similarly, I find it absolutely incredible that the "Official Food of the Olympics" is McDonald's!  What a joke!  Oh yeah, I'm sure Michael Phelps made sure he had his Fried Mc-Artery sandwich everyday before he got in the pool.  Absolutely not!  Though there probably was a point later in the evening when he was craving some McDonald's, but that's a different topic altogether.  The Olympics,  or any sporting event, should be promoted by products & foods that the players actually use, things that would promote success for a child with hopes of becoming a professional athlete & not have them wind up with heart problems in their forties.  And don't even get me started on the beer commercials! (though some of them are mildly humorous)  Well that's it for now folks, but there's plenty more where that came from.  Till next time... - rjm

No comments:

Post a Comment